Monday, March 23

Faking It


Since returning from a prolonged stint in the sun-baked Balearics, and watching the tawny tan that I'd come to believe was a permanent fixture fade fast, I've shied away from faking it. All that painstaking prep, loading up on product, stained sheets, maintenance - it all seemed so much effort compared with a 10 minute walk in the Mallorcan sunshine that gently topped-up my tan. 

And yet, with the onslaught of spring I think it's time my skin (or at least the extremities that are starting to surface) became reacquainted with a golden glow. And so, naturally, after a hiatus I turned to my foolproof faking-it staple, Sisley's Self Tanning Hydrating Facial Skin Care. Luxe, nourishing and never failing to impart a subtle, believable tan tone - it's been a long time since a tanner has managed to lure me away, at least in the long term.

But that's not to say I haven't had my fair share of brief flirtations. . . I mean, haven't we all?!

And whilst I don't often tan and tell, I will say that over the last couple of years I've spent many a pleasurable night with James Read BB Gradual Tan - balmy and light, it left my skin glowing and plumped, Clarins' Radiance-Plus Golden Glow Booster - a made-to-measure tanner that gave skin a realistic weekend-in-the-med bronze tone - and Creme de la Mer's Gradual Tan - a buildable tanner with anti-ageing benefits that gave me a healthy-looking luminosity.

But I think I've finally found The One in St Tropez's Self Tan Luxe Facial Oil.

Don't be misled by the name, as this doesn't apply or indeed feel like an oil in the traditional sense (there's no slip), more a souped-up serum, lightweight and easily-absorbed into skin with just enough pre-dry time for you to circulate it evenly over face, neck and decollete.

With just a hint of trace colour and a matte dry-down, I have been applying it by day as well as overnight, as makeup seems to sit over it quite happily without any DHA-developing concerns or later-in-the-day streaking.

The result is a really subtle, enhanced golden tan tone and skin that looks healthy, bright and lightly sun-kissed rather than scorched.

To keep up the pretence, I've also been smoothing it (using a mini face tanning mitt) over the back of my hands and feet without any around-the-knuckle-and-ankle patchiness.

Although my relationship with Sisley isn't over for good, for this season at least, I'm pretty sure I'll be playing away with this one. . . 
_____

St Tropez Self Tan Luxe Facial Oil | St-tropez.com | £23 

Sisley Self Tanning Hydrating Facial Skin Care | Johnlewis.com | £83.50

James Read BB Gradual Tan | Jamesreadtan.com | £22.50

Clarins Radiance-Plus Golden Glow Booster | Boots.com | £19

Creme de la Mer The Face and Body Gradual Tan |  Selfridges.com  | £65


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig